Thursday, June 7, 2012

Sometimes the Preacher Needs a Preacher

Today my soul is troubled.  I have just recently (three weeks ago) gone through a situation that left me in an emotional coma.  It has been a series of good days and bad days for the past three weeks.  I function, but I feel dysfunctional.  I continue to stay busy so that I won’t have to think and I’ve developed the habit of smiling all the while crying on the inside.  Some nights I don’t sleep and I toss and turn which makes me cranky and an introvert.  Sometimes, the nights are long and those are the roughest times for me.  That third hour after midnight is often the quietest and I tend to be very introspective at that hour.  It is usually at this time that I pray my hardest and will pick up the phone to call a sister minister friend of mine.

Sometimes, the preacher needs a preacher.  I know that this preacher does.  I say this because preachers are so busy listening and counseling people and their issues that the preacher’s issues are not being addressed.  We are so busy giving the people, “What thus says the Lord” but what we really need is for the preacher to have a preacher. 

My friend has never not (I know that this is a double negative, but it’s MY BLOG) picked up the phone to pray and counsel me.  After talking with her, the air seems clearer, the night seems easier and my soul not so troubled.  I always hear a Word from God through her which helps me to put things in perspective.  I know some of you might be saying to yourselves, “I wouldn’t answer my phone at that ungodly hour.” That’s your choice, but when my sister minister friend was going through, I picked up the phone for her and gave her God’s Word and prayed.  Sometimes, the preacher needs a preacher.  We figured like this, if we can allow congregants to awaken us in the middle of the night with their issues; why can’t we do that for each other?  Exactly!  We can!  We need a Word too.

What I am trying to convey is that preachers are not immune to the problems and issues of everyday life.  Job 14:1 prophetically states, “Man (and yes woman) born of woman is of few days and full of trouble.” We have relationship issues, household issues, health issues, children issues, daily walk issues, self-esteem issues and every other issue that lay people have.  Lay persons can turn to the preacher.  The preacher can turn to………Sometimes, the preacher needs a preacher.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment